January February 2016
January - February 2016
On the cover: Ace of Diamonds
You have to agree – this is truly an appropriate cover photo for the Valentine issue of our African Violet Magazine. It looks like love at first sight. And love them, we certainly do! Don’t miss this issue. You’ll find the latest convention information, plus articles covering a wide range of interesting topics and tricks of the trade:
Although we have not had a lot of members with missing AVMs, we would like to let you know the procedure for those of you who do not get your magazines in a timely manner. The magazine is usually mailed, by BULK MAIL, by the last week of the month prior to the issue date. Once it leaves our local mailing facility there are many factors that can affect the arrival of your magazine. These are completely out of our control. If you feel you have missed your magazine, please follow the steps below and we will send you a replacement copy.
- Make sure expiration date has not expired.
- Make sure your address is correct with our records.
- With so many different factors, please wait until the 20th of the issue date to notify the office for your replacement.
- Once the office is notified, we will mail you a replacement via First Class mail.
Please contact the office by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (844) 400-2872(AVSA) with any questions.
This website contains an online index of the African Violet Magazine with Authors, Titles & Subjects. The following link takes you to a page where you can list the contents, alphabetically for any year back to 1947. All past issues of the African Violet Magazine are in our database.
- Online African Violet Magazine Index for all issues back to 1947
- Online African Violet Magazine Listing of Photographs for recent issues
Best of The African Violet Magazine (AVM)
Every year the best articles published in the previous year of the AVM are announced. Selection is done by voting for the top 5 of the year. Below is a sample of some of the articles that have been garnered "Best of AVM". Content has been graciously provided by Sue Hoffmann and the Pubs Committee. All articles are in PDF format.
- Location, Location, Location by Paul Kroll - Sept/Oct 2012
- Don't Lose Your Crown by Pat Hancock - MarApr 2012 Pg 11
- Recognizing and Correcting Light Problems by Amy Cash Allison Jan/Feb 2012 Pg 38
- Underwater Flower Arrangements by Edna Rourke - May/June 2012 Pg 42
- Preventing Virus July 2011
- Tidbits for the Novice African Violet Grower May 2011
- Problem Solving by Barb Pershing Jan/Feb 2001 Pg 18
- Going Home by Linda Golubski Jan/Feb 2001 Pg 21
- Grooming and Judging Trailers by Velma Lewis Nov-Dec, 2000 pg 50
- Ten Basic Principles in Growing Show Plants by Mary Stallings Nov-Dec, 2000 pg 48
These are just a sampling of articles you'll find when you receive the African Violet Magazine as a member of AVSA. (All articles are in PDF format)
20 or 27 Physan or Phyton
African Violet Culture - Basic Care
African Violet Terms
AV Judging - Beginner
Basics of Flower Arrangements
Best of Show-Ultimate Experience
Different Methods of Watering
Diseases of African Violets
Flower & Leaf Types
How To Repot to Bury a Neck or Rescue a Violet from Root Rot
Keep It Simple
pH - Does it Really Matter?
pH, Rx For Healthy Plants
Secrets to Blooming
Start A Club
Wicking African Violets